Sunday, December 03, 2006

holy fucking hell it's 2:30 in the morning

Tonight was Lemonheads at the Bluebird, bookended by lots of whiskey and ginger ale at the Goosetown Tavern. Yeah, that's right. It's been a loooooooong time since I closed down a bar!

Lemonheads... when I found out they were playing the Bluebird, I was all "I love them!". But then I tried to think of any song that I knew by them. All I could come up with was their Mrs. Robinson cover. Yikes. So I know I love them, but I don't really know any of their songs.

It was a great show though. The band was tight and they played a LOT of music. I can't even begin to come up with a setlist, but I guess when you play punk pop songs that last for about about two and a half minutes, you can cram a shitload of music into 80 minutes. They played a lot of older songs, and Evan did a few solo songs toward the end.

The energy of the room was pretty good, despite the couple making out right in front of us... we were pretty sure that she was pregnant by the end of the set. It's always nice to have an "older" crowd, where I don't feel like I'm surrounded by college kids.

Anyway, tonight was yet another show that I'm glad I ventured out for. I've been through a bit of a dry spell... no live shows since The Decemberists almost 3 weeks ago. When I'm out to shows all the time I don't even notice it, but once I start staying home a lot it's hard to find the energy to get out. At least it's Saturday night! Errrr... Sunday morning anyway.

What I'm listening to right now:


Shit, I love that Evan Dando.

And this is for Leah:

The Outdoor Type

Always had a roof above me
Always paid the rent
But I've never set foot inside a tent
Can't build a fire to save my life
I lied about being the outdoor type

I've never slept out underneath the stars,
The closest that I came to that was one time my car
Broke down for an hour in the suburbs at night
I lied about being the outdoor type

Too scared to let you know you knew what you were looking for
I lied until I fit the bill
God bless the great indoors
I lied about being the outdoor type
I've never owned a sleeping bag let alone a mountain bike

I can't go away with you on a rock climbing weekend
What if something's on tv and its never shown again
It's just as well I'm not invited I'm afraid of heights
I lied about being the outdoor type

Never learned to swim can't grow a beard or even fight
I lied about being the outdoor type

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uh yeah. we stayed out WAY too late. I am still tired and it's monday now!
so glad you made it out to the show! and sorry about the dramatic end to the nite, but it is pretty funny in retrospect.
have a good start to the week!