Saturday, December 16, 2006

the president's dead

No, it's not what you think. It's the first track on the EP I've had on repeat since oh, about October, I'd guess. So why write about it now? Because I'm currently listening to it and I'm bored, that's why. Word is that Okkervil River got together in Austin earlier this year to record some songs. According to Will Sheff, the songs weren't initially intended for release - they were demos, writing exercises, covers and experiments. Lucky for us we got the Overboard & Down EP out of the session. So if these are, in essence, throwaway songs... makes you wonder what they've got in store for us... Please, Okkervil River, release your next full length soon, k?

I would urge you to check out this EP. Granted, Okkervil River is one of those "do no wrong" bands, in my opinion, but nonetheless it's an amazing record. The EP contains 5 tracks including a fabulous cover of Big Star's O Dana and a live version of Westfall. I absolutely love Will Sheff's voice, not to mention the stellar songwriting. He manages to sound like a good guy no matter what the subject matter. See Love To A Monster... Great stuff.

Love To A Monster

Lover, now that you've left me
I'm glad you're unlovely.
'Cause if you could take all the heat in your heart and just hang it from you
I wouldn't be able to bear the way you cannot love me.
It's much easier of me
to make a monster out of you.

So here I go substituting the glow from your temples.
All our sighs and our trembles
And each last letter sent you
From the cheap little pen of this weak little man
The one singing
Out his jangling, ringing and hopefully stinging attack upon you.

So here I go just exploding the hope we'll be speaking
Some day years from now seeking
Friendship and understanding.
Yeah I hope you get angry, and hurt, and have the hardest of landings.
And I hope your new man thinks
Of me when he sees what a number I did on you.

I grow tired of this song, turn my eyes to the blonde in the bleachers.
She's a lovely young creature.
I think she's seeking adventure.
I think she's ready to see that the world ain't so sweet nor so tender.
I won't break her, just bend her
And make her into my new ringer for you.

I stay in the same comfy town, write the same old songs down
Drive the same streets.
Seek the same sense of dull peace.
Same sweet words to the chippies.
The same walk by the road where the same muddy snow's finally leaving
But I'll fight off the spring, I don't want lovely things
I don't want the earth new.

No comments: