Thursday, April 26, 2007

andrew bird, success!

When I was just a little boy
I threw away all of my action toys
I became obsessed with operation, oh

Hearts and minds and certain glands
You got to learn to keep a steady hand
And thus began my morbid fascination

After my previous 2 attempts to see Andrew Bird were thwarted (one sold out show and one blizzard/parking disaster) I was a bit worried that I would encounter a new catastrophe tonight. It would seem, however, that the third time really is a charm.

I love that picture... ->
I was very excited when I found out that Apostle Of Hustle was opening the show. I have really been enjoying their new album National Anthem Of Nowhere. I missed the beginning of their set, despite the fact that I walked into the Fox at precisely 9:02 and the show was supposed to start at 9:00. If nothing else, this week has been rife with shows starting on time. Apostle Of Hustle were absolutely fabulous - tight, charming and funny. I haven't been so taken by an opening act since Malajube and then The Besnard Lakes. O Canada, you've done it again. Not that AoH blew Andrew Bird away or anything, but they were nearly as enjoyable as Andrew himself.

Andrew Bird. Finally, Andrew Bird. The man is insanely talented. Setting aside the violin, the guitar, the glockenspiel, the songwriting and the voice... NO human being should be able to whistle that well. C'mon. He played for nearly two hours to a visibly captivated crowd. I've never heard the Fox Theatre so quiet in my entire life. Especially a sold out Fox Theatre. Partly it was just a good crowd - even though the theatre was at least 2/3 full for the Apostle Of Hustle set, you could hear a pin drop while they played too. The singer even commented on how quiet we were, to which the guy behind me responded "that's because you're so good!". True, true.

Anyhoo, the only disappointment of the evening was the near lack of anything from The Mysterious Production Of Eggs. By my count, it took Andrew 6 tries to successfully start Skin Is, My. Apparently they've been playing it almost every night for the past month and the dry skin at the end of his finger was catching on the violin strings. Gross. And he played Tables And Chairs, which is my absolute favorite song of his. I do like how he mixes things up for his live shows, rather than regurgitating what he's already put out on his albums. Though they are spectacular albums, you have to admit. I never thought it possible that he would be able to put out a better piece of work than The Mysterious Production Of Eggs... but Armchair Apocrypha is even more of a masterpiece (imho). I've listed to it at least 25 times and I find something else to fall in love with every time I hear it.

Good news: Andrew mentioned that he thinks he's playing E-Town in a couple of months. Sweet.

A setlist for you:

Steve The Cat
Imitosis
Fiery Crash
Spare-Ohs
Dear Dirty
Plasticities
Heretics
Simple X*
Armchairs
Skin Is, My
Scythian Empires
Dark Matter
-----
Why?^
Tables And Chairs

^Andrew solo
*I think I can honestly say tonight was my first time to witness a See n' Say being utilized as an instrument...


No comments: