Saturday, September 16, 2006

andrew bird, why must you forsake me? (or, hippoPUBamus, i hardly knew ye)

So, it's Saturday night. I had big plans. Yup. HippoPUBamus is tonight, and Andrew Bird is playing at the Bluebird. The pub crawl started at 5:00 in lower downtown Denver (LoDo), so my plan was to hit the first few bars, then head up to Colfax to catch Andrew. HippoPUBamus is finishing on Colfax, so I planned to hook up with the pub crawlers after the show.

My evening started out great - 3 bars on the pub crawl. I had a whiskey and ginger ale at Double Daughters, a margarita at the Rio and a beer at the Falling Rock. Then I headed east to the Bluebird and Andrew Bird. This is where the evening fell apart.

Andrew Bird was SOLD OUT!!!!! Can you believe that shit?!? I suppose I really should have bought a ticket before the day of the show, but really... who knew that so many people in Denver would ever have HEARD of Andrew Bird, let alone want to see him play?!?

So, once I found out the show was sold out I had few options - I could head BACK downtown and hook up with the pub crawl... though they were heading my way shortly. I could wait on Colfax until the crawl caught up with me - in about 45 minutes. Or I could head home. Sadly, I have to admit... I am old. The thought of being home by 10 was rather enticing... so here I am.

At any rate, I am chatting online with my sister now. So... hippoPUBamus I apologize for not waiting for you. And Andrew Bird, you owe me a concert. :)

No comments: