Friday, September 01, 2006

thank you chris thile for not making me deaf

I saw Chris Thile and his band in Boulder last night, and did they EVER tear that shit up!

It's been a while since I've seen a good bluegrass show, and while I am still sad about the impending Nickel Creek hiatus, I have to say that Chris Thile has managed to put together quite an impressive 5 piece band. I think I love the banjo player - Noam Pikelny. He's funny, he looks like Jake Gyllenhaal, AND he plays the banjo!!

Separated at birth? You make the call:

Talented (and good-looking) musicians aside, it's not everyday that I get to hear bluegrass covers of The Strokes, The White Stripes and Radiohead. I mean, seriously, how fabulous is that?!?

It was a bit disconcerting, though, to hear Chris use the phrase "fucking around" during their cover of The Strokes' "Heart In A Cage". What happened to that Nickel Creek wholesomeness... lol. I guess the kid is growing up.

Anyway, enough rambling for now. The album is out on September 12, you should buy it. It's awesome.

No comments: