Wednesday, September 27, 2006

you don't have to call me darlin', darlin'...

I saw Band Of Horses in Boulder tonight. Holy fucking hell, did they sound good!

I'd never heard of them until a few months ago when someone recommended their "Everything All The Time" (EATT) album. I liked it immediately. I hear them compared to My Morning Jacket a lot, but I don't know - to me they kind of sound like The Shins. At any rate, it's a fabulous album.

I didn't know what to expect from the show, as it turned out it was way more rocking than I thought it would be, based on EATT... they started with The First Song (well, obviously...) I can't remember what was next, but song 3 was The Funeral. The Funeral is far and away my favorite song on the album, and the live version just blew the album version away.

After a new song, they did a cover of Steve Goodman's (or David Allan Coe's?!?) You Don't Even Call Me By My Name. I think this was the precise moment that I stopped really liking Band Of Horses and started loving them. Indie pop meets country & western, indeed.

After that, details of the setlist are sketchy at best. I know they played another new song, a few more from EATT, and they closed the show with covers of The New Year (don't know this band) and ELO.

Definitely a rocking good time. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Now playing - well, clearly:

No comments: