Friday, December 21, 2007

my top albums of 2007... a slight detour

One more thing to throw at you before revealing my top 10 (though, seriously, I doubt there will be any surprises there). Here are a handful of albums that more than likely would have made it somewhere into the top 50 if I'd started listening to them before the first of December...



The Acorn - Glory Hope Mountain
The Acorn is from Ottawa. Glory Hope Mountain is a concept album based on Acorn singer/songwriter Rolf Klausener's mother's emigration from the Honduras to Montreal, and all the hardships she dealt with along the way. It's beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. The official US release is sometime next spring, though, so it has a chance for 2008!



Basia Bulat - Oh My Darling
Basia Bulat is Canadian too... are we sensing a theme here? We didn't review it at TLOBF, but here is a review that I would definitely agree with. Basia is also getting a US release in the spring.



Deer Tick - War Elephant
Another young kid doing some more alt-country. It's real good. I don't necessarily agree with the rating Kyle gave it, but:
TLOBF review




Phosphorescent - Pride
This one has been getting praise from all corners of cyberspace, yet I waited until after the last minute to finally give it my attention. Pity.
TLOBF review




Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals
Everyone, and I mean everyone, has been talking this album up. And there's little question as to why... it fucking kills, that's why. Yet again I put it off until the last minute. My theory is that I was afraid of whatever that is gracing the cover.
TLOBF review


Tomorrow... top 10.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bridget, I'm definitely with you on the Basia Bulat. I remember the first time I played that album, I listened over and over to "Before I Knew" about ten times, so good. I held off on listening to Yeasayer too, I've got some rather stupid anti-hype filters in my head because that made me miss the show they played near where I live, and we hardly ever get shows down here as it is. I am also looking forward to The Acorn's album, the Chrome Waves blog has been championing them and it for a while now.