Wednesday, October 25, 2006

white people dancing is funny...

Well. I saw Bob Dylan for the first time ever last night at the Fillmore in Denver. I wasn't really sure what to expect... I've heard stories of people leaving his shows partway through because the show was so poor. I've heard stories of people who insist he still has it. Last night, Bob had it.

Our night started with the task of finding parking. Usually when I go to the Fillmore I'm able to park on the street. However, usually the Fillmore isn't sold out when I go. We managed to find a lot just a couple of blocks away for $5. Not bad considering we saw a lot not much closer for $20. $20!!!!!! Insanity. While circling the theatre we caught a glimpse of the line to get in. Holy shit. People stretched back and around the corner... I think we were a good three or four blocks away when we got to the back of the line. It moved pretty quickly though and we were inside before 8:00.

Getting a decent view was a different story. We tried hanging out on the side, a bit raised up from the floor, but were pretty thoroughly obstructed by people. And poles. When the show started we actually moved down to the floor, toward the back, and were able to get some glimpses of Bob and the band through the crowd. Plus, there was some good dancing room back there which was good both for dancing and for watching other people dance. Lots of good entertainment for when the stage view was blocked. We also got to see two really really wasted guys get kicked out. After one of them tried to take on the incredibly tall security guard, he fell down and was promptly ushered out, his friend right behind. Good times.

The band came out about 8:40, only 40 minutes late. But there was no opener, which I was really happy about. Here's the setlist... no I didn't remember this all by myself, it's courtesy of Bob Links.

Absolutely Sweet Marie
SeƱor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis
Blues Again
Under The Red Sky
Honest With Me
Joey
Workingman's Blues #2
I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
This Wheel's On
Fire
Shooting Star
Things Have Changed
Masters Of War
Rollin' And Tumblin'
(encore)
Thunder On The Mountain
Like A Rolling Stone
All Along The Watchtower

Becky met a guy while I was in the bathroom. He bet her $50 that Bob would play until midnight. He still owes her the $50. I told her to collect it in beer. He also complained that Bob played "too much from the new album". Hmm... 3 of 16 doesn't seem like too much to me. He may or may not have been drunk though... we were never quite sure.

Anyway, it was a really great show. The band was on fire, and by the end of the show, everyone was dancing and having a good time. I am very pleased that Becky enjoyed the show... since I feel a bit like I dragged her along. But seeing Bob Dylan is something that everyone should do, at least once in their lives... :)

No comments: