Thursday, October 05, 2006

tim is an asshole

Ben Kweller gets to be my top friend for the day... for many reasons:

1) The kid puts on a fucking great show! I don't think he's even old enough to drink yet. Just kidding. Barely.

2) He wrote Penny On The Train Track.

3) This YouTube video - I mean, blood spattered guitars & keyboards AND a tampon up the nose. Now that's rock n' roll, baby.

4) "She goes above and beyond her call of duty. She is a slut but her ex thinks it's sexy. Sex reminds her of eating spaghetti. I am wasted but I'm ready!"

5) It knocks Tim off my top 8 friends for at least a day. Because, as you are now aware, Tim is an asshole.

So, for some reason, tonight was my first Ben Kweller show. Ever. I don't really know how this happened, as I've been a fan of his for... well, I guess since Sha Sha came out in 2002. It's been so long I can't even remember how I was introduced to him. I'm fairly certain that it was somehow Guster-related though.

I got to the Fox earlier than usual - I really wanted to get to my favorite spot at the railing. Mission accomplished. I love the Fox because they have a... ummm. server I guess who comes around and takes drink orders. I don't know what I'd call her. Waitress? Bar wench? Anyway, it's nice if you're by yourself you don't have to worry about losing your spot to hit the bar! Before the show she tapped me on the shoulder to see if I wanted anything. I turned around, she looked at me and said "Oh - ginger and whiskey?". Ummm, yeah. Heh. So it seems I spend quite a bit of time at the Fox Theatre in my favorite spot. Or it could be that she got me 2 whiskey & ginger ales just on Sunday night. Yeah, we'll go with that.

Oh - also, I somehow managed to drop my phone and spill my drink at the same time. It took talent, I'm telling you. My phone was OK, but my damn drink was almost full!!! I went to pick up the ice cubes to minimize the spillage and realized that among the whiskey and ginger ale sacrifice was a remnant of a joint. So I had the pleasure of intermittent wafts of whiskey and wet pot all night. Ha ha.

The show - it was amazing. Like I said, the kid puts on a helluva show. He's got some great moves for a skinny white boy too. The band was obviously having a blast and they sounded great, except for the awful speaker noise when Ben hit the keys too hard. Here's what I remember of the setlist:

Run (Ben solo - guitar)
On My Way (Ben solo - guitar)
Thirteen (Ben solo - keyboard)

How It Should Be (sha sha) - band joins Ben
the rest is completely out of order, just me looking at my CDs and trying to remember...
Wasted & Ready
Family Tree
Commerce, TX
Walk On Me
Make It Up
I Need You Back
My Apartment
The Rules
Nothing Happening
Sundress
Penny On The Train Track
Magic
encore:
Hospital Bed
In Other Words

I'm probably missing a couple, but oh well. I love that Sha Sha was nicely represented. Even the songs from On My Way sounded great. I realized it's been forever since I listened to that album, as there were a couple songs that I didn't even recognize. A great show, the crowd was really great and really into it. I did feel extremely old though, with all the college kids milling around. But I spotted a few other older folks, so all is good.

Yay Ben.

No comments: