Wednesday, August 01, 2007

who wanna rock with aqueduct?

Well, me for one. Of course, I also wanted to rock with Blitzen Trapper and Smoosh, but seeing as how I can't seem to figure out door time vs. show time at the Hi-Dive, some things are just not to happen. Blitzen Trapper was to open this evening's festivities, and were really the band that I wanted to see the most. I checked before I left - doors at 8:00; in my experience this means the show is supposed to start at 9:00, but in actuality rarely starts before 9:30. Being me, I still managed to leave the house later than expected (I'm hopelessly tardy in every way, shape and form), but did get to the Hi-Dive by 9:30. As I arrived I heard music from inside the venue and my heart sank a little as I realized that I missed the beginning of the Blitzen Trapper set. Once I was inside, noticed the goddamn cage was up again, and saw that Smoosh was onstage... Well, the best I could hope for was a change of order, that Blitzen Trapper was going to play after Smoosh. Never my luck though...

I had to've caught most of the Smoosh set, as they played for half an hour after I arrived. The girls were definitely more confident and less like deer in headlights than when I saw them last summer. Of course, I imagine that opening for Aqueduct at the Hi-Dive must be at least slightly less intimidating than opening for the Eels at the Fox Theatre. For being teenage girls, this band certainly brings me lots of enjoyment. Besides the poppy songs, they are, from my experience, completely unpretentious kids who just love music. I'll never forget them coming out for the Eels encore of I Like Birds, where Krazy Al literally lifted them in turn up to the mike to sing lyrics. Tonight they appeared in the front row at the Hi-Dive just after Aqueduct began their set. Oh, the energy of teenagers... joining them both dancing in the front row and onstage for a couple of songs was their bass player, who I can only assume is their younger sister. For the past couple of years these girls have undeniably been catching the eye of some major players - Jason McGerr, Mates Of State, Pearl Jam, Sleater-Kinney, Cat Power, Sufjan Stevens, Eels, The Go! Team... keep an eye on these kids.

And Aqueduct. They were a lot of fun. I always love a band who truly seems to be having a blast onstage. And no doubt David Terry turned in a fun-loving performance almost worthy of Craig Finn. Aqueduct was in town a few months ago, with What Made Milwaukee Famous opening. I know I wanted to make the show, but I can't remember what prevented it. From what I'd heard, WMMF pretty much stole the show... But I really enjoyed Aqueduct tonight. They proclaimed tonight the "best show of the tour so far". Of course, we were, like the 4th show, but still. Yay Denver. No doubt I'll see these guys again - which will be this fall, unless we were lied to tonight.

But I'm still pissed that I missed Blitzen Trapper.

No comments: