Wednesday, August 22, 2007

brilliant albums for brilliant people #3



So we're going back a ways for this one, but who ever said these had to be recent albums, huh? Figurines may well be my favorite Danish indie pop band... umm... not that I know of many Danish indie pop bands, but still...

Figurines are yet another band that refuse to be pigeonholed. I've seen them compared to Modest Mouse, Built To Spill, The Shins, and even Band Of Horses: all of which I can acknowledge. But make no mistake, this young band harbors a sound all their own. Skeleton is a quirky album brimming with catchy hooks, melodies and lyrics.

Sadly I discovered this gem too late to include on my best of 2006 list, but it is certainly worthy of the critical acclaim it did receive. Skeleton's follow-up When The Deer Wore Blue is to be released in the States on September 11 - fans of Zombies/Beach Boys 60's pop take note... :)

Figurines - Skeleton
available: March 7, 2006
The Control Group

No comments: