Saturday, August 04, 2007

it's really impossible to have a bad time in colorado. and that's the damn truth.

So says Ryan Adams.



I’m not one to support faceless corporate America in such a way as attending a Starbucks-sponsored concert, but seeing Ryan Adams will beat out my conscience every time.

I really wanted to see the Old 97's, but we got in only in time to see their last three songs (Barrier Reef, Murder (or a heart attack), Timebomb). But as I discovered today, so did Rhett... thanks to a flight delay. Now I'm just wondering what they did before Rhett showed up? Maybe played a string of Murray songs? That would have been fun... was anyone there who would care to enlighten me?

This was my first experience seeing homegrown DeVotchka, and they didn't disappoint. With countless instruments in their arsenal (including sousaphone, accordion, violin, trumpet, various percussion, bouzouki, upright bass), they easily won over the Red Rocks crowd with their unique brand of greek-punk-mex-americana. I've never been able to really sink my teeth into their studio material, but I may have to give it another chance.

Up next was Lucinda Williams. Although it goes without saying that she is an Americana institution, I have never gone out of my way to listen to her music. Nevertheless, I was excited to see her; it felt like the first time I saw Bob Dylan - living legend and whatnot. What followed, I am almost ashamed to say, was ninety minutes of me alternately being bored out of my mind and having my ears blown out by the way-too-loud electric guitar. Blasphemous as it may seem, I didn't enjoy her at all. Lucinda seemed disinterested through most of the set - though this could just be her stage demeanor. It took her half an hour to break out Right In Time, the first upbeat - and likely my favorite - song of the set. The other standout, though not in a good way, was new song Honeybee. Honeybee is a bluesy-punk number with completely banal, embarrassing lyrics. Perhaps the cold truth is that I am just not a fan of Lucinda Williams.

Finally, The Cardinals took the stage at 11:00. Opener Magnolia Mountain kicked off a string of seven songs which found the Cardinals channeling Jerry Garcia & The Dead, with every number turning into a lengthy jam. Beautiful Sorta launched the more country-rock latter half of the show. This band is tight, tight, tight at the moment; they play extraordinarily well together and the harmonizing is just breathtaking. Dear Chicago was easily the highlight of the evening.

As a long time defender of Ryan Adams - through all his temper tantrums, hissy fits, fan ejections, profanity-laced voice mails, etc., etc., etc. - it's awfully gratifying to see that he has finally grown up. He's clean & sober, he's found himself a niche with the Cardinals, and by all accounts is playing and singing more professionally than ever. Ryan exhibited confidence and precision in his performance last night. And while he seems to be more comfortable than ever in his own skin within the confines of his songs, he revealed quite a bit of nervous energy in his bantering with the crowd. He did, however, prove an ability to poke a little fun at himself: "If this wind kicks up any more I'll really be able to storm offstage... if you know what I mean". I knew he had it in him.

Magnolia Mountain
Peaceful Valley
Easy Plateau
Goodnight Rose
Mockingbird
Let It Ride
Cold Roses -> What Sin Replaces Love? -> Cold Roses
Beautiful Sorta
When The Stars Go Blue
I Taught Myself How To Grow Old
A Kiss Before I Go
--------------------
Dear John
Two
Please Do Not Let Me Go
Dear Chicago
Wild Flowers
I See Monsters

4 comments:

dianne727 said...

i was at the show and i will agree with everything you said. lucinda bored me to death, and ryan kicked my ass.

BeeKay said...

Holy shit, what a lineup. I've never listened to much Lucinda Williams (okay, practically none) but still. I have a Ryan question for you. What albums does he tend to play the most tracks from on the current tour? I'll be seeing him next month (maybe twice) for the first time in almost four years. Somewhere along the line I decided I couldn't keep up with his releases, so there's a gap in my collection between Love is Hell and Easy Tiger. I do own Cold Roses, but I've barely listened to it. (The double CD did me in.) But I'd like to get to know more of the songs I'm likely to hear...

Mystik Spiral said...

The breakdown for the Red Rocks show is this:

Cold Roses - 6 songs
Easy Tiger - 3 songs
Jacksonville City Nights - 3 songs
Love Is Hell - 2 songs
Gold - 2 songs
Demolition - 1 song

From the setlists that I've seen from the current tour, this distrubution is pretty normal. If you take Cold Roses as 2 discs, I guess the top four are even among CR, JCN, & ET. Which makes complete sense since those are the true Cardinals albums.

If you already have Cold Roses, definitely pull it out again. I felt the same way about the double disc when I bought it, but when it finally sank in, hoo boy. There are some truly beautiful songs on there.

JCN is one that I got when it came out, gave it a couple of listens and then let it go by the wayside. After digging it up last week before the show, though, it's really been sitting well with me too. And Easy Tiger is just great... :)

Hope that helps, have fun at the show(s)!!

BeeKay said...

I've already been listening to a lot of Easy Tiger, so I'll give Cold Roses another go. I do know and very much enjoy "Magnolia Mountain."