Thursday, March 01, 2007

you had me at kazoo

I'm too old for this shit. Seriously. I left my house to go out at 9:00 on a Wednesday night. And honestly, "i'm too old for this shit" was all set to be the title of this post. That, however, was before I saw The Spinto Band play the Hi-Dive.

There were two openers tonight, The Changes and Dios Malos. Having left my house at 9:00, I obviously missed The Changes. Apparently they were quite good, as some asshole kept shouting "bring The Changes back!" throughout The Spinto Band's set. We get it, they were good. And I was even sorry for missing their set, but shut the fuck up, jackass!! I did arrive to catch most of Dio Malos' set though, and they most definitely tore the shit up. I love me some good reverb-drenched rock n' roll! They almost reminded me of Band Of Horses turned up a couple of notches. I like to believe that during their set I kinda text-talked Leah into coming to the show. She didn't arrive in time to see Dios Malos, but was in plenty of time for The Spinto Band. Luckily she had a good time so I don't have to feel bad... lol.

The Spinto Band took the stage with little fanfare to maybe 150 people. Holy. Fucking. Hell. These kids put on a phenomenal show. The selfish part of me loves that I got to see them in such a small venue with so few people. But how in the world is a band that has been around for nearly 10 years (I only heard of them last year, but I do my research, dammit!), and who has such an amazing stage presence, relegated to this sort of existence? Don't get me wrong - they were either having a fabulous time or they were putting on Oscar-worthy performances. But they should at the very least be playing venues such as the Fox or the Gothic. I guess it's also a selfish part of me to want them to come BACK to Denver... and when playing for a handful of people, who knows?

But enough of the perplexities of indie rock, on to the show! I am not so familiar with The Spinto Band to be able to come up with a setlist for tonight. They played a lot from Nice And Nicely Done, the only album of theirs that I have heard. Here are a few highlights of the evening:
  • Not one, but TWO kazoos on Brown Boxes. I saw one guy strapping on a harmonica-type apparatus, but I thought to myself "that's not a harmonica..." Leah leaned over and said "that's a kazoo!". Awesome. Plus, the keyboard player had one too. Yay kazoos!
  • I may have missed their set, but two members of The Changes came on stage for a cover of I Think We're Alone Now. I think everyone was singing. Fantastic.
  • The mandolin on Oh Mandy was sublime.
  • Direct To Helmet. Need I say more? OK, maybe I do... I love this song. And it was enhanced by some stellar choreographed dance moves... lol.
  • Late was just... awesome.
I'm still struck by the energy this young band showed on stage. It was obviously a very fun experience for me, which is good because I really need to be reminded from time to time why it is that I go out at 9:00 on Wednesday nights.


Now playing (with a renewed appreciation):



it's getting late late
tell me what time it is i can't wait
i gotta get back to the house
my show is on

so walk and don't run
it's slippery by the pool and it hurts
you know that it only gets worse
'cause the grade is steep

it hit me so hard fear for my agitated
discomposed disturbed perturbed and alarmed
i can't believe this works

it makes you supersonic
your science hurts
so why don't you
stop it
and switch me chairs

my efforts fall short but in the long run
lots could stretch forward then it'd all be almost there
it's just a longer ride

so up to full speed
if i can handle it well we'll see
action takes more than just luck
it needs a well thought plan

it's getting good good
turning and dodging like all you should
just as it tosses me out
i'll have to look to land

i think you're supersonic
your science hurts
so why don't you
stop it
and switch me chairs

it's getting late late
tell me what time it is i can't wait
i gotta get back to the house
my show is on

so walk and don't run
it's slippery by the pool and it hurts
you know that it only gets worse
'cause the grade is steep

i think you're supersonic
your science hurts
so why don't you
stop it
and switch me chairs

i think you're supersonic
your science hurts
so why don't you
stop it
and switch me chairs

1 comment:

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

I am very glad I came out to the show! Minus the strange, durnk men fighting.
They get a big DUH.
But Spinto Band gets a thumbs up!
I think you have a show Saturday but I am going to Albert HAmmond, JR.@ the Marquis if you're not