Friday, March 23, 2007

what $10 can get you these days

If you're lucky, 2+ hours of really really really great live music, that's what. Tonight The Thermals came to Denver. It was January 12th when I first learned of the show, and I've been excited for it just about every moment since. I fucking love The Thermals; they are one of those bands that can just do no wrong in my eyes. It was a 16+ show, and I was a little worried about crowd dynamics. I'm older than my average fellow concert-goer, so going to a 16+ post-pop-punk (or whatever) kind of show can certainly be cause for trepidation. However, I spotted several people who appeared to be at least my age if not older, so that was nice. For a punk show, the crowd was pretty tame. We got a great spot stage left about 3 rows back. We were close enough for a spectacular view but just out of reach of the mosh pit-esque group in front of the stage.

The hour-long set flew by in a flash. I don't have a setlist as I was just too damn busy rocking out. Haha. I can say with confidence that they played everything from The Body The Blood The Machine except for I Hold The Sound. And Test Pattern... now I'm not 100% sure that they played that one. Hmm... Others they played that I can think of (which really consists of me looking at my albums and thinking to myself "did they play that?") are: Our Trip, How We Know, Back To Gray, Everything Thermals (I fucking love that song!!), No Culture Icons, A Passing Feeling... Well, OK, I'm sure there were several more, but damn if I can remember what they were. It was a captivating set that was over all too quickly. I'm already looking forward to my next Thermals show... In the meantime I'll just play The Body The Blood The Machine for about the 23rd time this week.

Since I wasn't sure what to expect as far as the crowd, and because I really really really wanted to see The Thermals tonight (ummm, I'm really short), I actually got to the Hi-Dive at 8:00. Good thing, too, as there was already a good-sized group of people in front of the stage for the first band, Lion Sized. They were quite good, a 3-man local punk-ish band. After visiting their MySpace page I even like them more... The bassist left a comment on the band's page: "Wow, I just saw us at practice the other day, and we're awesome! Good job us!". lol. They also managed to land on a couple of local and quite influential 2006 best of lists - Westword & The Onion, and they've had shows reviewed in the Denver Post. Good job, Lion Sized!

After Lion Sized were the Hot IQs, another local band. I'd never heard them before, although they've got plenty of accolades under their belts, including best rock band in Colorado. See their MySpace for some more details. They are more indie pop than punk, and lots of fun. Also a three-member group, the drummer is especially amusing to watch as she is constantly blowing bubblegum bubbles... :) She also played her drums with a maraca to start one song - both efficient and aurally pleasing. The singer's voice reminded me of someone but I can't place who... I'm thinking it may be the Panic! At The Disco singer... but don't hold that against them, they still rock. :) OK, really, I actually kinda like Panic! At The Disco. They're one of my emo guilty pleasures... haha.

And... now playing:



Yeah, everything Thermals
Straight from the pages of your journal
I know nobody's ever seen it
The Thermals know all your secrets

Yeah, everything Thermals
Born in an outer space wormhole
Brought to life by the big bang
Traveled to Earth in a Dodge van

The Thermals go right to your head
The Thermals have sex in your bed
Everything in circles

Yeah, everything Thermals
They come in 4 shades of purple
Some are tight, some have trousers
Some have pictures of flowers

They are The Thermals
They guarantee life eternal
You only need skin and bones
And a sweet pair of headphones

The Thermals don't need drugs to have a good time
The Thermals need drugs just to stay alive
Everything in circles
Yeah, everything

1 comment:

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

this.show.was.awesome.

though my ears still rung a bit on friday. must buy those earplugs!