Tuesday, January 16, 2007

some loud thunder, you rock my world

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah have a new album, Some Loud Thunder, coming out later this month. Have I mentioned that a time or two? Um, yeah, I thought so.

We were teased with a few tracks - CYHSY made Love Song No. 7 & Underwater (You And Me) available for download on their website and you can stream Satan Said Dance at their MySpace page. And, if you are a subscriber (or were lucky enough to find an MP3 somewhere), Yankee Go Home was included on Uncut Magazine's February issue CD.

Somehow the album didn't leak until yesterday, just one day before the pre-order MP3s are available. As luck would have it for me though, about a week or so ago a kind soul from the message board where I hang out sometimes sent me a link to download the whole album. Mainly because I am likely the biggest CYHSY advocate (oh, ok.... fangirl) over there.

So by the time I actually got to hear the damn thing, I was quite concerned that my hopes were up way too high and that I would be supremely let down by the new album. But oh, how it was worth the wait.

First off, for those of you who are hoping that Alec Ounsworth's vocals have "improved" somehow... well, you probably won't like this one much. I personally have no issues with his singing style, in fact I rather like his voice and think it fits well with the songs. The vocals are a large part of what makes CYHSY's sound so unique; I just can't imagine some slick-voiced singer belting out these tunes... It seems that a lot of their "punch" would be non-existent.

But enough of that. Some Loud Thunder is certainly not an accessible album. In fact, I'd say it's abundantly less accessible even than CYHSY's self-titled debut, which was poppier and catchier than SLT. In a word, I'd call it a noisy album. Or perhaps noise-y would be more appropriate. I don't mean that in a bad way at all... quite the contrary; there is so much going on that it begs for multiple listens just to get a handle on everything that is happening.

There really isn't a standout track on this album. Or more precisely, every track on this album is a standout... :)


  • Some Loud Thunder - They played this one when I saw them last October. I also have a few live recordings of it - which I play the hell out of because I love the song so much. I was surprised to discover that the album version is very similar to the Flashy Python & The Body Snatchers Graceful Retreat demo (Flashy Python is Alec's side project - incidentally, I would love to see them release an album soon...). It takes some getting used to, especially the vocals; the best description I can think of is as if they're coming across a bad radio signal. A grower for sure, but an amazing song.

  • Emily Jean Stock - I'd actually heard live recordings of this one - commonly listed as The Chinese New Year. This is one of the "busier" tunes, with quite a lot of instrumentation. It's catchy; very sweet lyrics too...

  • Mama, Won't You Keep Them Castles In The Air And Burning? - Whew. Quite a title. I learned something though - "castles in the air" is an idiom meaning "extravagant hopes and plans that will never be carried out". I did not know that. Beautiful track, by the way... it's virtually percussion-less and has great lyrics. I love Alec's lyrics, though admittedly I usually need the cd sleeve "cheat sheet" to catch them all (I really hope CYHSY includes the lyrics with this one too). This one is perhaps the most "CYHSY" song on the album. For whatever that's worth... lol.

  • Love Song No. 7 - I really didn't care for this one the first couple of times that I heard it after it was released. It's such a creepy sounding song I get a little shiver everytime it starts. I remember Pitchfork comparing it to Aerosmith's Dream On. I don't really get that... But creepy or no, this is yet another magnificent track.

  • Satan Said Dance - And I know it is not how you thought it would be; no whips, no chains, just dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing, dancing... If you've heard this one live, it's not too different from the album version; they "electronica-d" it up just a bit.

  • Upon Encountering The Crippled Elephant -
    Dear accordian: When did you get to be so cool? I love you.
    xo Bridget
    This is the lone instrumental track. Over headphones, this song really does conjure up the imagery of slowly walking up to and past a wounded elephant. Really.

  • Goodbye To Mother And The Cove - I didn't care for this song at all on my first listen. But, as is the theme of this album, several listens convinced me that it's a gorgeous song. I love the guitar picking...

  • Arm And Hammer - It's the new Clap Your Hands! This is probably the one that had the farthest to grow on me... I do like it, but I'm still working on it. Definitely an odd song without too much structure.

  • Yankee Go Home - I'd heard this one before - it surfaced just before I scored the entire album. When I first heard this track I was quite disappointed with it - then I remembered that the previous released tracks also took me quite some time to warm up to. I do so love this song these days. And I love Alec Ounsworth's voice... ;)

  • Underwater (You And Me) - This song is so romantic and sweet, it just makes me happy when I listen to it. And it's even not so much the yelping Alec Ounsworth...

  • Five Easy Pieces - Oh man. The first time this song started... well, when the reverb-drenched vocals started anyway, here is what I thought to myself: "This piece of shit is the album closer? And it's almost seven minutes long??". I was disappointed. And pissed. Not that I have anything against reverb, of course: Band Of Horses was my personal album of the year in 2006. It just wasn't what I would have expected for an album closer; if it's possible for songs to have polar opposites, this is it for Upon This Tidal Wave Of Young Blood. Luckily I had almost seven minutes to absorb the song, because by the time it was over I'd realized that what I needed to do was let the vocals drift to the background and focus on the beautiful, sweeping instrumentation. Between the gorgeous bass-centered melody and the echoey, ghostly vocals, Five Easy Pieces has become just about my favorite track on the album. Lovely.

So. Obviously my first spin of Some Loud Thunder was a bit disappointing and quite frustrating. But by about my sixth listen, I realized that this album is pretty much kicking my ass all over the place. Now I have to focus on not getting burned out... which is quite difficult as all I want to do when the album is over is play it again.

I don't envy CYHSY, faced with the Herculean task of following up their self-titled debut... Talk about pressure. Although I did read an article once where Alec Ounsworth stated that he doesn't "pay attention to attention". Smart man. Some Loud Thunder is an extraordinarily bold move by CYHSY and is sure to put off a lot of the fans they won with their debut. Unfortunately, internet buzz can be a double-edged sword... While said buzz was hugely responsible for the success of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, it's likely that bloggers and critics around the world are just lining up to shoot this album down. Hopefully people will give the new album several listens before writing it off, though, because it really is a masterpiece, proving that these "blog buzz band" poster boys are neither one-trick ponies nor one-hit wonders.

I believe you can still "pre-order" the album from Insound - you'll get a link to download the album in MP3 format, then receive the CD "on or about" the Jan. 30 release date. Or, according to the band's MySpace, you can stream the entire album there later today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the fan on my computer was broken cause there was this really annoying whining sound coming from it. Coincidentally, I paused my itunes and it stopped.

Mystik Spiral said...

well, i obviously disagree, but that was pretty funny. cheers.