Thursday, January 04, 2007

iowa is almost denver, right?

So, there's this band that I recently checked out, mainly because their album garnered an 8.4 from Pitchfork... you know, Pitchfork, that website that we all love to hate. Or hate to love, I always forget which....

The band is called Rock Plaza Central, and their new album is entitled Are We Not Horses. It's a brilliant concept album about mechanical horses that think they are real horses. I'm not kidding, I swear! Rock Plaza Central are from Toronto, and they have announced some tour dates:
01-06 Toronto, Ontario - Tranzac Rock'n'Roll Wedding 4 *
01-13 Ottawa, Ontario - Zaphod's #
01-18 Guelph, Ontario - E-Bar ^
01-27 Montreal, Quebec - Main Hall %
01-28 Toronto, Ontario - Lee's Palace %$
02-17 Brooklyn, NY - Glasslands %+
03-31 Iowa City, IA - Mission Creek Festival

* with Lullabye Arkestra, Mantler
# with As the Poets Affirm, My Dad Vs. Yours
^ with Constantines
% with Oxford Collapse
$ with Thunderbirds Are Now!
+ with Meneguar

I just want to say that Denver is only 780 miles from Iowa City. So RPC - come on over... you can sleep on my floor. I'll make some supa-sweet black bean and sweet potato burritos. They are fabulous, I promise. Oh, and since I'm absolutely certain that you (you, not Rock Plaza Central...) want to hear Rock Plaza Central cover Sexyback, just click here... you know you wanna...

I also want to say that looking at these tour dates reminds me that I am going to miss an Oxford Collapse/Thunderbirds Are Now! show next month because I will be out of town. Now I am fucking pissed off again. I can't believe I have to miss this show... :(

Oh - and another current obsession (due to Kyle's best of 2006 list) is The Figurines' album Skeleton. I love it, yes I do. It's quirkyness somehow reminds me of the Starlight Mints. Skeleton is not a new album ('twas released back in March) but it flew under my radar at the time, so it's new to me. It probably could've made my top 50 if I'd heard it soon enough...

Oh music, I love you. I love you so hard.

Ghost Towns

I dropped a line, took a nap
I fell asleep on my back
I dreamed of the tears in your eyes
Your features grew like the tide

I need someone and you need someone to love tonight

Who needs someone?
Who needs someone to pick a fight?

I parked a bike down the aisle
Had conversations for a while
I long for the ghost towns and July
Your heart still belongs to the new guy

I need someone and you need someone to love tonight

Who needs someone?
Who needs someone to pick a fight?

Is what I need way too much?
Too much to ask for but not enough
I know I appeared and we tied
Do you still think we wasted our lives?

I need someone and you need someone to love tonight

Who needs someone?
Who needs someone to pick a fight?

I need someone and you need someone to love tonight

Who needs someone?
Who needs someone to pick a fight?

No comments: