Tuesday, November 14, 2006

july, july!

Caught The Decemberists in Denver tonight. It was my first live Decemberists experience; I was so excited for the show, it really couldn't come soon enough. I spent yesterday listening to the Decemberists catalogue in reverse chronological order. Obsessed? Yeah, just a bit... :)

The opener was a Scottish guy by the name of Alasdair Roberts. I only caught the last few songs, but he was good. The sound was too low, and it was difficult to hear him though... I can't remember the last time that was an issue! The crowd was pretty good for his set, people paid attention for the most part.

Leah and Laura were at the show, but our seats weren't together. Luckily, I sat next to a couple, Melissa and Michael, who said they'd be my friends for the evening... :) They drove down from Fort Collins for the show, and Melissa told me that the only reason Michael was there was because she made him go. Awesome. So we chatted during the break, which was surprisingly short.

The Decemberists came on stage at 9:00. Hey, I actually have a setlist! Ha ha, OK, so I used my phone to take some notes, but I have a setlist, dammit.

The Crane Wife 3
Colin - "I have a severe head cold, and the altitude isn't helping. But I'm going to do the best that I can." :(
July, July! w00t!!!!

We Both Go Down Together
The Engine Driver

Colin - "If this becomes too much of a travesty let me know..."
The Perfect Crime 2
Yankee Bayonet
The Crane Wife 1 & 2

Colin - "What it means when this happens is that we owe you. The next time we come to town we'll do something extra special... As soon as they build a venue a mile under the surface so we can play at sea level and our colds don't turn into the krakon being released." (ummm, am I going to be at the next Decemberists show in Denver? Fuck yeah I am!)
O Valencia!

Colin apologizes and thanks us for being understanding. One more song is all that he thinks he can "croak through". Awww...
Sons And Daughters


The crowd continued to applaud, even though I'm sure we all knew in our hearts that nobody was going to come back out on stage. The house lights came up after a minute or so, and everyone started filing out of the theater. Melissa told me that she thought the reason they didn't come back for one more was because Michael didn't clap. Funny, I thought it had something to do with Colin losing his voice, but I'd rather blame Michael... lol.

So. The show clocked in at just under an hour. It seems like I should be disappointed, but I'm really not. July, July! made my night, and despite Colin being sick it was a great show. His voice started giving out during the third song, but I see the cracking and croaking as part of the whole live show experience. By the time he apologized before the last song he could barely even speak. I'm amazed that he could still sing.

Now I'm listening to The Crane Wife. Again. This is such a great album. If you want an indescribable aural experience, go listen to The Crane Wife 3 through your headphones. No, not those damned iPod ear buds... the good headphones.

Get well soon, Colin.


And under the boughs unbowed
All clothed in the snowy shroud
She had no heart so hardened
All under the boughs unbowed

Each feather it fell from skin
'Til threadbare while she grew thin
How were my eyes so blinded?
Each feather it fell from skin

And I will hang my head, hang my head low
And I will hang my head, hang my head low

A grey sky, a bitter sting
A rain cloud, a crane on wing
All out beyond horizon
A grey sky, a bitter sting

And I will hang my head, hang my head low
And I will hang my head, hang my head low

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I do so hope they do return. This was my second Dec. show, but the other was at Telluride, and AWESOME, but also on the short side.

Hopefully next time it will be longer! I like that you made show friends :)