Friday, July 20, 2007

making very very very very minor history tonight

To me, the mark of a great live band is when I, after a show, listen to said band incessantly for a few days (or until my next great show, whichever comes first).

Tonight at the Larimer Lounge was Maxïmo Park's first time in Denver (hence the minor history), and it was glorious. In fact, I had been wondering before the show if they'd ever been here, so it was a pleasure to know that I was there for the virginal CO experience. So, I'm an equal-opportunity attentive fan, you know? I like to take in the whole band, all the instruments, all the players, etc. Tonight, however, I found it exceptionally challenging to tear my eyes from the charismatic, expressive, magnetizing bundle of energy that is Paul Smith. In Colorado, we hear all the time about the difficulties of breathing in the high altitude, and I admit it can get old. Maxïmo Park didn't complain about the thin air, but I found myself wondering how Paul didn't just pass out. The guy is a total rock star, abounding in showmanship. The hour long set was a perfect mix of banter and expertly-executed music. If memory serves (not bloody likely), they played everything from Our Earthly Pleasures except for Russian Literature, Nosebleed, and Sandblasted And Set Free. From A Certain Trigger they played Apply Some Pressure, Graffiti, Postcard Of A Painting, Going Missing. There were probably a couple more - I was having too much fun to try and keep up with the setlist...

Opening up were first, The Oolahs from Los Angeles. The Oolahs came highly recommended from my friend Mark, but as I didn't anticipate an on-time start (I never get these things right...) I arrived in time only to catch their last 1 1/2 songs. I liked what I did see, though. After The Oolahs was Monsters Are Waiting also from CA (Echo Park?). I liked them a lot, their singer/keyboardist was very... theatrical - for lack of a better word. Lots of dancing and emoting and attitude. Their set ended quite oddly and abruptly though when they were faced with technical problems halfway through their last song. They couldn't get the guitar to work so the singer told a (really lame) joke and then rapped a little bit of Too $hort's Don't Fight The Feeling. She actually wasn't too bad... but she did get embarrassed and moved away from the mike for all the "bad" words... lol.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I am currently listening to Our Earthly Pleasures, only after finishing A Certain Trigger. That's a great live band for ya.

Oh and by the way, MP's reportedly playing the Jimmy Kimmel show tomorrow - Friday, July 20. Check it out if you know what's good for you.

2 comments:

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

sounds fun! i saw the poster for the show last nite and thought you were going.
i won free tickets to a private show at hard rock to see brandi carlile. she is probably more mainstream then you usually listen to, but her voice is amazing, and she did johnny cash, bobby d, and leonard cohen covers. bad ass. and two of her other band members are twin dudes who are very, very cute. hahahaha.
checking out maximo now!

Mystik Spiral said...

i like brandi carlile! you would have loved last night's show, though i know you just can't turn down free tickets...

i think both maximo park albums are great, and the live show rocks about twice as hard. next time they come to town you must go with me... :)