Friday, June 29, 2007

weird. fucking. night.


Yup. So, I found out last month that Dan Deacon was coming to Denver. I really like his new album, Spiderman Of The Rings, so I figured I'd check it out. However, even with the best of intentions, I often don't go to shows on weeknights at the Hi-Dive because they are typically late, and I have a job, for god's sake.

But, partly because I've heard nothing but good things about Dan's live show and partly because I feel guilty about missing a lot of recent shows that I should have attended, I decided to venture out tonight. Now, here is what I have learned about the Hi-Dive... normally they have 3 acts per night, generally starting at 9:00. From my experience, they never start anything before 9:30, so I have made a promise to myself never to get to the Hi-Dive before 9:30. Tonight, doors were at 7:00, show at 8:00, BUT... 4 bands, not 3. I thought to myself that typical rules should apply, so I left home just after 10:00. Boo.

The first weird thing is that about halfway to the venue I realized I forgot my phone. I forgot my FUCKING phone!!!! Never mind that I could get an important text (although Leah, my most reliable concert-going buddy, is in the Yukon at the moment) but my phone is what I use to take show notes. I felt completely naked without it.

The next weird thing was that when I got to the Hi-Dive, the guy at the door asked me if I was going to the show. Huh. Why the fuck else would I be here? I gave him my $8 and got my wristband, and upon entering I assumed that Video Hippos were on stage (they were the band before Dan).

The next, not so weird - but mildly annoying thing, was that the Hi-Dive had "THE FENCE" up. I've only had to deal with THE FENCE once, when the Spinto Band played. I don't really get it... I've been to other 16+ shows there where they didn't have THE FENCE up... When THE FENCE is up, you can't take any alcohol into the stage area, you have to stay on the bar side. It's weird. Since I was under the assumption that we were still in opening band territory, I got me a PBR and stationed myself outside THE FENCE to watch the show. What I noticed was that the stage was dark and all I could really see was a skull on a post that intermittently decided to emit some strobe lighting.

After about 5 minutes, as I was thinking how great the music was for an opening band, I realized that it was Dan Fucking Deacon playing. I missed the goddamn beginning of the show, despite the fact that I got to the Hi-Dive at 10:30. What's a girl to do? I downed my PBR and made my way into the rather BO-smelling stage area so that I could get the fuck down. I stood toward the back for a few songs, but when Dan said he only had two more I knew I had to make my move. I wormed my way up to the third row for the last two, and I gotta tell ya... I danced like I was fucking 18 years old again. And it was great. Dan played not on stage, but in front of the stage. The crowd was ideal - dancing and having fun but not obnoxious. The hour that I was actually there flew by like it was 10 minutes.

So, was it worth the 30-minute round trip drive and the $8 for the hour that I got to see Dan Deacon? Goddamn right it was. I only hope that it's not too long before Dan shows his face around here again. If you ever have him in your town, go. No shit.

Good god, what a fun fucking show.

No comments: