Friday, June 08, 2007

it's a double edged sword...

The first time I ever heard of Brakes (I refuse to give in to the brakesbrakesbrakes rubbish...) was just over a year and a half ago, when several people over at Via Chicago were raving about their debut album, Give Blood. I fell in love with the band immediately, and their recent release, The Beatific Visions, landed in my 2006 top 10. I never thought I would see Brakes live... The good news is I got my chance when they played the Hi-Dive in Denver tonight. The bad news is tonight is probably the last time I'll ever see them live again... at least in Denver.

But I digress...

My evening began spectacularly when I caught a car leaving a meter just half a block away from the Hi-Dive. I got inside at about 9:15... No matter how many times I promise myself I won't get to the Hi-Dive before 9:30, when I want to see both opening bands I forget that even though the show is supposed to start at 9:00, it never does. Electric Soft Parade took the stage at about 9:30 and played a great set. Since I'm a sucker for both funny banter and Brighton accents, they were definitely right up my alley. Seems they were in Salt Lake City last night, where there was no drinking, and the crowd was "all-ages emo shit". "Fuck. Oh, jesus, I said fuck. Oh shit, I said jesus. Oh fuck, I said shit. People buggered off!" Well, maybe you had to be there... :) I really enjoyed them, and while I've heard of them (obviously), I've never actually heard them - although their new album No Need To Be Downhearted is on my list of things to do. It seemed that nearly every song they played was a single in the UK... good, british pop for sure. We were thanked profusely for "coming out early and actually watching". Seems they've had a lot of "dead" shows lately. Ironic, now that the show is over...

Next up was Brooklyn's Pela, who I was excited to see as I've really been enjoying their new album, Anytown Graffiti. They played a great set, very high energy and completely rockin'. I had thoughts of trying to work out a setlist, but that never quite panned out... lol. Billy did dedicate the 3rd song - Drop Me Off - to Aunt Maureen and Grandpa Joe. I'm pretty sure that everybody in the bar knew who Aunt Maureen and Grandpa Joe were, as there were the only two grey-haired people rocking out to Pela's set. Too cute. Billy also mentioned that he'd never been to Denver before and wants to come back. Sweet. Pela endeared themselves to me even more when they stayed and danced to the Brakes set.

Finally, Brakes. My hopes for a good crowd were up during the Pela set, where the 200-capacity Hi-Dive was at least half full+. Sadly it seems that most of those people were Pela fans and didn't stick it out. Their loss, I guess. Brakes are one of those bands that I like to think of as "mine"... I know few people who have heard of them - none in my own town - even though they are a British "super-group", made up of members of Electric Soft Parade and British Sea Power. They are one of those secrets that I simultaneously want to keep to myself and share with the world. Unfortunately (in some sense) it seems that the secret is thus far well-kept. Despite a decent turnout for Pela, there were maybe 40 people who hung around for the Brakes set. Remember the irony I mentioned about the ESP set? I think there were more people in the crowd for their set than for the Brakes. But, I enjoyed every last drop of that Brakes set... I'm not normally a very vocal live music fan, but I did yell for every Brakes song tonight. I figured they could use the moral support... :) A funny aside, Eamon kept referring to the venue as Hi-Dave's, said he really wanted to meet Dave... lol. It was a great show and everything that I hoped for... which is nice since, as I stated above, tonight may very well be the last time I ever see them in Denver. Boo. The setlist:
Hold Me In The River
Ring A Ding Ding
Heard About Your Band
Pick Up The Phone
I Can't Stand To Stand Beside You
Cheney
You're So Pretty
Margarita
Beatific Vision
All Night Disco Party
On Your Side
We Saw Jerry's Daughter (CVB cover)
Cease And Desist
What's In It For Me?
Spring Chicken
Porcupine Or Pineapple
The Most Fun
NY Pie
Comma Comma Comma Full Stop (on setlist, not played - you know it's bad when a 7 second song is scratched...)
No Return (on setlist, not played, which really pissed me off!!!)
Jackson
Huevos Rancheros

No comments: