Friday, May 11, 2007

truth time

A couple of confessions for you tonight. First, about why I keep a blog - not necessarily to inform, but more because I'm just too lazy to keep a journal. Music is really one of the most important things in my life, and while I love to get hits and comments and whatnot, this thing is here mainly for my own personal recollection. And second (believe it or not) I only started listening to indie music about a year and a half ago. True, true. And trust me, at my age, I'm kicking myself for missing out on hundreds of fantastic bands that were making music during my younger years. I just never knew better. Naive as it seems, I figured all the best bands were on the radio - the only exceptions being the folk acts I discovered during my Moxy Fruvous rock tourism days...

Having confessed that, one of the things I love about my blog is that it allows me, at times, to pinpoint the exact moment when I became obsessed with a certain band. Tonight, for instance, I can look back and see that it was February 16, 2007 when I fell head over heels in love with Minnesota's Cloud Cult. It was that same day when I discovered that Cloud Cult was playing the Larimer Lounge on May 10. Anticipating something for 3 months does not always turn out so well... hopes and expectations are raised and often shattered.

So what happens after nearly 3 months of Cloud Cult anticipation? My evening began when I left my house at 10:00. I'm really too old for this... :) Got to Larimer at least in time to see 30 minutes of Achille Lauro's set. A cursory glance at their MySpace page earlier this evening informed me that they are of the "Lounge/Death Metal/Jazz" persuasion, which interested me not at all, which is why I left pretty much in time to see Cloud Cult at 11:00. Lucky for me the show was running late, as these local guys put on a damn fine show. Their last song, introduced as their newest song, was fucking amazing. Seems they're having a CD release show at the Hi-Dive on May 31, and I'm kinda feeling the need to attend.

And Cloud Cult? Wow. I cannot remember the last time, if ever, I felt the way I feel about tonight's show: completely indescribable - it seems corny to say that it's as if I was transported to another time or place, but... As I sit here now, it's hard to believe that I was actually at a Cloud Cult show tonight, it just seems so surreal. Perhaps it was the two painters on stage - I've heard that CC often has an artist creating a work of art as they play. I wondered whether the Larimer Lounge stage was big enough for a painter, but hey, we got two. One was Craig's wife Connie, the other (name escapes me) doubled as a trumpeteer. Awesome. Besides the painters, there was a smoke machine and some cool lighting effects. But above all it's Craig's songs that take the breath away. This band is incredible beyond my ability to describe.

I was not able to tear myself away from my Cloud Cult-asm enough to get a setlist, but I did note below some songs that I'm sure they played. Of course there was more, but damn if I can remember.... Some tidbits to share:

-Craig played the entire set with one shoe on and one shoe off. I'm pretty sure that he had 2 shoes when they were getting set up. He is such an artist... :)

-I was nearly in tears when they played "Thanks". Seriously. I don't cry at shows... not that Your 8th Birthday doesn't reduce me to a blubbering mass every time I hear it, but I sense that they don't play that song live too often. Yes, I was very moved by this performance...

-They closed the show (main) with Happy Hippo - Craig said that the last time they were in Denver to promote Advice From The Happy Hippopotamus there were 2 people at the show. At least I don't feel so bad about being late to the Cloud Cult party...

-"That's the end of our set but there's no backstage to run to here...". Lol. They played a two song encore, which I am certain ended with Take Your Medicine. Beautiful ending with some audience participation.

I know they played these:

Chain Reaction
Please Remain Calm
Chemicals Collide
Pretty Voice
Thanks
The Deaf Girl's Song
Happy Hippo
Take Your Medicine
Yes, I love this band... Thank you Steve for turning me on. 8>
You can take it in stride
Or you can take it right between the eyes
Suck up, suck up
And take your medicine
It’s a good day, it’s a good day
To face the hard things

2 comments:

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

um you stay up INCREDIBLY too late.
i woke up at 5:30 to find that I had not turned the lights off in my house and I Was sleeping with my contacts in. At least I took the boots off!
oh, badddddddddddd choices.
but the show was great!

Mystik Spiral said...

haha, yes i do stay up too late, which is probably why i didn't make it to ANY show tonite... long story.

i'm glad that at least you got your boots off. though they certainly are fabulous boots.