Tuesday, June 13, 2006

the loop machine is the new full band

Just got back from seeing Jeff Klein, After Hours and The Twilight Singers (in that order) at the Larimer Lounge.

I enjoyed Jeff Klein. He's from Austin. He played a couple of songs with a loop machine, which marks the 3rd artist in the past month that I've seen use the technology. It's a very cool thing, allowing solo artists to layer vocals and music to give the illusion of more musicians, but it just seems so prevalent lately. But what the hell do I know... I've never exactly been on the cutting edge of anything.

Since I like pictures, here is a picture of Jeff for you:

After Hours were good too. They had a saxaphone player, which was very awesome. The singer played keyboards with The Twilight Singers.

So, The Twilight Singers... I've only recently gotten into their music, and I was never that into the Afghan Whigs. Of course, their glory days were in a time before I started listening to good music...

It's not that I didn't enjoy them. Although I have to admit that I did leave early. It's just that the Larimer Lounge sometimes needs someone to tell them that they are a small club, NOT a huge arena. It didn't help that I was standing between 2 amps, but it was just TOO loud. I couldn't make out a damn thing that Greg was singing. So even if I was very familiar with the music, I may or may not have recognized anything. Although the folks around me had no trouble singing and dancing along...

I did really enjoy the few songs where Mark Lanegan joined them. He is a total badass, if not just a teensy bit scary:

So, not really a bad night, just a hot, crowded, loud night. At the risk of sounding very old and crotchety.... If I'd only remembered my ear plugs I may have been able to stick it out to the end.

I am listening to Powder Burns, so I feel better about leaving the show early:

And then sleep. I love sleep.

Oh, and I'm very excited for Neko Case on Friday...

I *heart* Neko...

No comments: