Thursday, October 23, 2008

holland, my new kitty

OK, so tonight I've pretty much been posting this everywhere that I am allowed on the interwebs... I just adopted a kitten! She's 4 months old, black, and absolutely beautiful (OK, I may be just a bit biased). Not so long ago my brother adopted a dog, and he has always said that as soon as he met Mallie, he knew she was his dog. Well, I now know that feeling. I met Holland and another kitten at the same time. Holland took a few minutes to even come out of the carrier, then hid in the corner for a while until I was finally able to ease her out with a toy. Grace, the other kitten I met, was your "typical" kitten... she played, she climbed on my legs, my arms, my back, and playfully bit my fingers. Grace is adorable and friendly, no doubt, but still I was drawn to Holland.

After I'd played with the kittens for a while, my adoption counselor returned to the room and we talked about how Holland has clearly had bad experiences with humans. She was skittish, liked to hide, and visibly cringed everytime someone reached out to touch her. My adoption counselor told me, "She just needs to go home". I almost cried but came to the realization that Holland was MY cat. I picked up all the essentials on the way home (didn't have ANY cat supplies to speak of) and spent the evening playing with my new friend. I have to say it's quite entertaining to watch a kitten stalk and attack brilliantly colored ribbons... :)

She's now sleeping on the couch, which she seems to like more than the bed I bought for her. But that's OK. I know that she will be the best cat ever once she understands that she can trust me. I never thought I was a "cat person" because of allergies (I keep hearing they go away after a while, and that better be true, dammit!) but this little wonder just melted my heart:



Sadly, the best picture I got of her tonight is also the one with all the carpet stains... so you can just go ahead and ignore those. :) Yay kittens!

1 comment:

BeeKay said...

Gorgeous kitty, Bridget!